A Brief Job Description:
FUNCTION: Implements individual Life Plans and provides the necessary ongoing instruction and supports to maximize individuals’ abilities to live competently as integrated members of the community.
Provides Person Centered Supports
1. Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team in the development and facilitation of Life Plans.
2. Supports the self-direction of services.
3. Implements individuals’ Staff Action Plans and supervises and assists individuals in meeting the objectives in their plans.
4. Supports health and wellness by demonstrating understanding of an individual’s medical, physical, psychological and dental health care needs.
5. Demonstrates and assists in nutritious meal planning and food preparation and handling procedures.
6. Demonstrates knowledge and use of accepted methods to prevent illness and disease, and teaches methods to individuals. Successfully achieves and maintains AMAP Certification as required.
7. Assists residents in travel training to appointments and other functions.
8. Assists residents in organizing, coordinating and attending recreational/community activities.
9. Abides by the DSP Code of Ethics.
10. Adheres to Starbridge organizational values.
13. Performs in compliance with OPWDD regulations and with all Starbridge and site-specific program policies and procedures manuals.
14. Reports all incidents, illnesses or other unusual circumstances according to policies and procedures.
15. Responsible for obtaining and maintaining First Aid, Medication Administration, CPR and other designated certifications, and for keeping updated.
16. Attends all required trainings and other meetings deemed necessary by supervisor.
17. Responsible for the residential setting, grounds, furniture, equipment and relevant property being kept in a safe, clean, functional and sanitary condition at all times. Notifies Residential Manager immediately if a problem occurs that cannot be corrected by DSP’s.
18. Supports a comfortable home environment and assists individuals with routine household chores according to the individual’s needs.
19. May be required to provide coverage at sites other than primary residential assignment.
20. Abides by Code of Conduct, which incorporates the corporate compliance section.
21. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School Diploma or GED with one year of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities or one full year of college courses in a related field.
• Valid New York State driver’s license and an insured, registered motor vehicle.
• Must be ambulatory.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
• Upon completion of AMAP Certification, all full-time employees must maintain AMAP Certification status.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrates effective verbal communication with individuals, co-workers, colleagues and other team members.
• Demonstrated ability to complete service documentation and other required paperwork.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Needs to be able to provide mobility assistance/ lift or support weight of 50 lbs.
• Ability to visually see service documentation, habilitation plans, medication lists, communication logs and other written material.
• Ability to talk/hear/ communicate to recognize alarms, calls for assistance, etc.